Newton, the place we are all proud to call home!
Newton was founded in 1850 and incorporated as a city in 1857. In the late 19th century, Newton’s growth was fueled by the development of coal mines in the region.
The first significant mine in the area was the Couch mine of the Jasper County Coal and Railway Company, opened in the 1870s. It was, for a while, the largest mine in the county, producing 70 tons per day.
William Snooks opened a mine near Newton in 1886. In the early 20th century, large scale mining in the Newton area had declined, but there were still several mines in the area that were worked intermittently.
Its most distinctive landmark, the Jasper County Courthouse, was built in 1911. Photo is of the Maytag Dairy Farms courtesy of Christiane Tas.